When grading the assignment, first decide whether you are grading 'as is' or for reassignment for a re-do attempt.
- If grading as is - go to Leave a Message instructions
- If re-assigning - go to Help Message instructions
Leave a Message
- In the upper-right corner, click New Message.
- Check the box for Assignment Info to be sure the subject area pre-fills in with the assignment information. That way the student knows which assignment you are referring to.
- Enter your feedback in the main body/box then click Send Message.
The student will receive a message in their LMS inbox that they have feedback. To ensure the message counts towards your weekly, individualized communications, send an email in the Imagine Learning Virtual Portal (ILVP, formerly SIS) to the student about the feedback or copy/paste it via the “add communication” tool in the ILVP.
Example 1 ILVP Email for Feedback:
I just left feedback in your [COURSE_NAME] for the following activity: insert activity name. Let me know if you have questions!
Example 2 ILVP Email for Feedback:
I just left the following feedback in your [COURSE_NAME] for the following activity: insert activity name. Let me know if you have questions!
Insert copy of feedback here
When reassigning an assignment, it is better to put your feedback in the help message so that students see it while redoing their assignment. That way they do not have to search for the feedback.
- While still in the assignment (and before clicking Reassign), click Help, which is located in the upper left just above the student answer box.
- Enter the message and click Send.
- Since this work was reassigned, the student will see it once they open the assignment (it will show back up on their “to do” list in their course). Given that, they will see the help message when they go to redo the assignment. However, if the feedback needs to count towards the weekly, individualized communication, send an email via the ILVP to let the student know that the assignment was re-assigned and some feedback was provided.
Example ILVP Email for Help messages:
I just left you a help message in your [COURSE_NAME] for the following activity: insert activity name and reassigned the assignment. You’ve done great work so far and just need a bit more information. Review my help message and let me know if you have questions!